SHEET METAL CUTTING
VETA has heavily invested in advanced sheet metal cutting technologies, machinery and production capacity over the last years, to become a premier European sheet metal manufacturer and a trusted subcontractor partner for a wide range of business sectors. Laser cutting, waterjet cutting and punching, are the three pillars of our sheet metal manufacturing services.
Facilities expansion, in-depth expertise of our well trained personnel combined with decades of manufacturing experience, have become a company asset.
STREAMLINE YOUR PRODUCTION WITH VETA
VETA is one of the leading laser cutting operators in Europe with 17 machines. In early 2000, VETA was amongst the first companies in Greece to introduce the laser cutting technology in metal in its production process, with high-power machines and large cutting surfaces.
Laser cutting offers supreme flexibility, from the simplest of components to shapes of almost limitless complexity. It is suitable for both pre-production samples and production batches. The narrow laser cut width, zero clamping strip and computer-assisted part nesting, allows maximum material utilization coupled with short lead times and zero tooling costs.
Today, VETA’s machines can accommodate an 8 by 2.5 meters single sheet. In recent years, VETA has also been investing in high-speed laser cutting machines which are significantly more productive, (cutting acceleration up to 3G) and can create a flawless cutting surface.
Nowadays laser generators make it possible to perforate through thicker material thicknesses with small perforation diameter and excellent cutting surface. The cutting speed of thin plates is 50% to 300% faster than conventional laser machines, depending on the design form.
Laser technology advantages
- Cutting speed
- Surface quality (not requiring further grinding, finishing)
- Minimal cutting trace
- Precision and repeatability of dimensions and designs
- Flexibility in changing dimensions
- Minimum thermal stress at cutting points.
Materials that can be laser-processed
- Iron, steel, fireproof, wear-resistant, painted steel
- Cold rolled steel, galvanized, perforated sheet metal
- Stainless steel
- Brass, Copper
- Aluminum, Dural
- Plexiglass, Roofmate, Cardboard, Permanite
- Wood, plywood, MDF
Steel-stainless pipes up to 300mm in diameter, hollow square-section beams up to 250x250mm, press-formed parts
- Maximum cutting dimensions: 8000X2500mm
- Max steel thickness: 25mm
- Maximum stainless steel thickness: 30mm
- Maximum aluminium, Dural, anodized aluminium thickness: 3mm
- Maximum brass & copper thickness: 12mm
- Design formats: dwg, dxf. cdr, ai, top, step
- Perforation - Engraving
- Surface engraving for marking
Waterjet cutting is just one of many metal fabricating capabilities here at VETA. Our company operates 2 water-jet machines with 4 cutting heads capable of cutting a wide variety of materials using a very high-pressure jet of water, ensuring speed, repeatability and relative low cost production. Difficult curves and right angles that used to be the waterjet’s weaknesses are now performed with excellent accuracy and precision.
It is the ideal method for dies (male-female) with almost zero scrap. Machines have two or four heads for cutting 2 or 4 components of the same design. The programming environment and the design reading capabilities are the same as the laser machines.
ADVANTAGES OF WATERJET CUTTING:
- Efficient production technology especially with single part manufacturing
- Almost no heat input in the component through the cutting jet, as the cut parts are not thermally stressed
- No structural changes in the material, such as increased hardness and micro fissures
- High machining accuracy and surface cutting quality
- No pollutants created during the cutting process
Maximum single sheet dimensions, 6m x 3m
The cutting surface can reach an N6 coarseness. Waterjet machines accelerate a small beam of water to mach-3 speed under a pressure of 4000 bar. It can cut materials up to 100mm thick. This is the ideal cutting method for all materials susceptible to thermal stress. The cutting surface is clean and does not require any finishing. The cutting area is subjected to no thermal deterioration whatsoever.
- Maximum cutting dimensions: 6000Χ3000mm
- Maximum material thickness: 100mm
Materials that can be waterjet-processed
- All metals and alloys (Iron, Steel, Stainless steel, Aluminium, Etalbond, Brass, Copper, Titanium)
- Reinforced plastics
- Spongy materials
- Multi-layered materials
- Wood, Compressed wood, HPL
- Marble, Granite, Stone, Ceramics
- Multi-layered, reinforced armoured glass.
Laser and waterjet can cut a series of materials and deal with thicknesses up to 100mm. However, they cannot accommodate special forming such as dimples, louvers and threads. Small bends can even be achieved thus avoiding ,where possible ,an extra operation, bending. Simple profiles, perforated parts in larger volumes is a faster and cheaper method than laser & waterjet.
VETA utilizes punching machinery to fabricate demanding metal components in a cost effective manner. Today VETA SA owns 3 punching machines which operate over 20 automatic tooling stations each, while the machine is in full operation.
Each station can handle either single or up to eight (8) rotating tools, thus reaching a total number of 54 tools, with each tool fully rotating at 1 degree increments, which offers great versatility and the possibility to use the best tool for each hit.
The table may process a single sheet with a working width of 1500mmX4000mm or more.
maximum cutting thickness of stainless steel :4mm
maximum cutting thickness of mild steel :8mm
maximum cutting thickness of aluminium :8mm
The versatile clamping system eliminates scrap and allows the processing of even larger sheets.
Features like the large supply of tools, the upforming possibility (for difficult, very high profiles, without damaging the sheet), sheet clamping in many and controlled points, the ‘O” type construction and up to date controls, guarantee optimum results.